Amongst the most attractive substances used today to craft jewelry and fine
art we find enamel. This material can be obtained by the combination of powdered
glass and high levels of heat. The physical appearance of the material can be
compared to soft glass because it has a glossy consistency which is a perfect
complement to any object made of metal or related materials which are used by
Enamel is also referred to as vitreous enamel or porcelain enamel which is commonly used in the US. The amount of work that is required in order to manufacture a good-looking enamel cufflink is quite surprising for starters, the enamel needs to be carefully melted at the right temperature in order to create a material comparable to glass and which has the hardness of a much stronger material, the enamel which is placed on cufflinks is reinforced by the beautiful metal which is used beneath it.
Once the powdered glass is melted at the right temperature it can then be combined with the main coloring agent which is a metallic oxide, the color of the enamel is determined by the amount of the materials used in the mixture and not by the amount of oxide. When it comes to cufflinks this material often projects a great sense of style and sophistication which can't be achieved by wearing only metallic cufflinks.
Interesting facts about onyx and the color black:
- Onyx was known to Greek and Romans but the word itself is derived from the Assyrian word which means ring.
- Onyx is such a rare and precious material that when the Beinecke Rare Book and Manuscript Library at Yale university planned to coat such book with green onyx they have to change the material to marble simply because there wasn't enough green onyx in the world.
- In folk religion onyx is used for the target of psychic attacks, especially those that are sexual in nature.
- In Chinese culture that dark color of onyx and black are associated with north, water and winter.
- In martial arts that color black is thought to be the result of the combination of all colors, this also represents the perfect union of mind and body and eight true sense of achievement and wisdom.
Great examples of Onyx Cuff Links:
- Circular Striped Onyx and MOP Cuff Links: in these cufflinks you can see the perfect example of New York glam, these cuff links are perfectly polished and feature a beautiful onyx stone that makes the perfect balance with all the polish silver that surrounds it.
- Onyx Stone and MOP Square Cuff Links: if you are looking for elegance and precision than these beautifully crafted cufflinks are definitely for you, they feature a square pattern that is inspired from New York fashion and promotes focus as well as concentration.
- Onyx and Mother of Pearl Mosaic Cuff Links: if we are to define these cufflinks then exquisite is the word that comes closer to represent the true beauty shown in the intriguing pattern of these cuff links, their shape is circular and yet the inner design is square, this is a contrast that creates perfect balance.
- Chekered Board Agate Cuff Links: if you love the game of chess and checkers then you are probably a very intelligent person, you can project your gifts through these beautifully crafted cufflinks that highly resemble the boards used in these games.